Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Acie or Dominique


As the season approaches and our team is perseveres through conditioning workouts my mind can't help but think ahead to the season. Even already, in open gym games guys are making impressions and fighting for a starting spot or just a spot on the team. I've been thinking alot about my own spot and what kind of season it will be. I want this season to be a successful one - I want to be on the floor alot as both as a senior and a captain. I have dreams of us winning big games and me making big shots but I have been frustrated this week. We played the other day, I didn't score much I didn't think that I played very well. I Even realized later that I hadn't played with much heart. That's when I remembered a couple teammates of mine at A&M. Most people have heard of Acie Law, the point guard who was the 11th pick inthe draft and signed with the Atlanta Hawks but far less people have heard of Dominique Kirk. Dominique often recieved more praise from our coach that any other player, even Acie, becasue of the little things he did to win games. Dominique was a rebounder, a defender, he made picks shots and played with lots of courage and lots of heart. Dominique was consistent and a hard worker but dominque was far from perfect, he made lots of mistakes and had lots of nights where he didn't shoot well. He had nights where he didn't shoot well but he was always on the floor because he was making things happen. Who do you want to be? Not everyone is an Acie Law. I think I've been frsutrated lately because I'm not the Acie Law of our team right now. Dominque is a great reminder for me that you don't have to score lots of points to play well. I need to pay more attention to the little things...to being consistent..that's what will win ball games. I could have an Acie Law night shooting and we could easily lose the game but lots of rebounding, great defense and making things happen will be hard to beat. There will be some nights when I might play like Acie Law but I feel like everyday in practice I should strive to be like Dominique. I think this applies to life to. It is easy to think that in order for things to get done with have to take over or do it everything ourself. What about focusing on what you do well and playing your part on your team the best that you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment