Sunday, July 18, 2010

ROLE PLAYER

During college, I had the opportunity to play three years of college basketball. Although I spent more time on the bench than on the floor during games, God used my experiences on two different teams to shape my life in dramatic ways. The biggest life lesson I learend came during my sophomore year when I was trying out for the team at Texas A&M.

I had been invited to practice by the coaching staff but I wasn't seeing much action. Day after day I would show up, watch from the sidelines, occasionally get in on a play if someone got hurt or needed to throw up, but I always ran conditioning at the end of practice. Coach never said a word to me about anything. I never knew what he was thinking or if he wanted me back the next day but I figured I would come until they asked me to leave. About two weeks into my extended "try out" period I got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. It hadn't been a good day of practice for the team and things only got worse when one of the seniors sprained his ankle on my stationary, sideline watching foot as he chased a ball out of bounds. Coach had plenty to say to me after that. "Why the heck are you here?" was his main question for me after practice and by the tone in his voice it was obvious he was angry. This wasn't the kind of question that needed answering so I stood silently and nodded my head. We broke out the huddle with "family" as usual, then I headed home.

That night I thought over and over about the answer to coach's question and showed up to practice the following day a different player and a new person. I realized that even though I wasn't on the court often, that I needed to find a way to help the team or else not waste my time or take up space. I became the most talkative, most encouraging, loudest clapping player in the gym and knew that was my role on the team. I made it my goal to always be ready to jump in the game when needed and that meant knowing the plays. I had plenty to work on in practice after that. Shortly after my basketball "conversion," a practice jersey and pair of shoes showed up on my chair in the locker room. I had made the team!

If God asked you the same question coach asked me, what would your answer be? Why are you here? What's your purpose on God's team?

Ephesians 4:11-12 says that "Christ gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers" all so that "the body of Christ might be complete with all its parts." Like the A&M team, God's team is a family and his kingdom is brought about when the all the members work together in the way God designed. Do you know what your role on the team is, and more importantly, are you caring it out? Many of us have been entrusted with incredible gifts and talents and have so much to offer in the way of service to God's kingdom but we choose not to.

Others of us get so overwhelmed by all the things we could be doing that we end up over-committed and accomplishing nothing at all. In John 17:4, at the end of Jesus' life, he prays, "I have brought the father glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do." Jesus did many amazing things and many miracles but he didn't heal everybody. Even though there was more Jesus could have done, he was able to say what he did because he knew his role and played it perfectly. He did every miracles he was supposed to do and healed every person that God had planned to heal. He didn't deviate fromt he game plan one bit. Can you say the same?

So are you bought in, sold out and engaged in practice everyday with God's team? Or are you taking up space on the spiritual sidelines, doing your own thing, instead of furthering God's kingdom throughout the day? There is no beginning or end to practice in the kingdom of God. Every second counts when souls are on the line and every part of the body is essential if God's glory and power are to be made known to all the world. As you break out of the huddle today, I hope you will remember the important role that you play in the kingdom and carry it out with all your might.

No comments:

Post a Comment