Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Choose Joy

"Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thes 5:16-17)

We usually think that some people are naturally more joyful than others, and while that is partially true, it excuses none of us from our responsibility to be continually joyful. But I'm not an outgoing person you might say. Fair enough, but as I look at Paul's instructions in 1 Thessalonians, I can't help but notice that none of the three behaviors mentioned come "naturally" to any body.

You and I don't normally pray without ceasing or naturally give thanks when something doesn't go our way. These qualities come about by choice, and joy is no different. We must choose to become more dedicated in prayer and ask the Lord to give us the strength to do so, choose to think about what's true so that we can give thanks in all seasons of life, and we must choose joy as well.

I recently realized that I had relinquished my responsibility to be joyful for the Lord when talking to the parent of one of my Chemistry students. Instead of being disappointed or angered by the behavior of his son, this Dad was one of the most joyful people I have ever talked to - and I wanted to be like him.

As a believer, it's more than okay to get upset and expected that you'll have bad days, but it's not okay to allow your circumstances to rob you of joy. God's abundant provision for us of "life, breath, and everything else" (Acts 17:25) gives us lots to be joyful about. Are you a person who allows the light and joy of Christ to radiate from your life? If not, pray that the Lord would help you to choose joy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment